Reach OET B 2.0 launched for Medicine and Nursing
The Occupational English Test (OET), used by thousands of medical professionals worldwide to demonstrate their ability to communicate clearly and effectively in an English language working environment, is now different.
From September, OET will incorporate the following changes:
- More professional interactions in the Listening paper in a wider range of accents.
- A broader range of documents to analyse in the Reading paper, such as policy and procedure documents, hospital guidelines, and medication package instructions.
- A greater emphasis on clinical communication skills in the Speaking paper, reflecting a patient-centred healthcare environment.
- Different task types in the Listening and Reading papers.
- A new points-based marking scheme, going from 0 to 500 to go alongside the existing grades in order to give candidates a more accurate picture of their scores.
The English level required to achieve the regulatory requirements will remain the same, so candidates should not find the test either easier or more difficult. However, they will encounter a wider range of language which will enable them ultimately to perform more effectively in the workplace.
SLC’s online Reach OET B courses for both Medicine and Nursing have been updated to incorporate the changes and give candidates the language and test practice they need to achieve a high grade in OET. Our academic team, led by Virginia Allum, SLC Head of Medical English and international Medical English author, trainer and conference speaker, have been working hard to ensure the hundreds of doctors and nurses we work with are fully prepared for the changes.
The original courses have been revised and added to, with new videos, audios and exam questions. Each course consists of 50 hours of targeted content, and can be used for independent study or in conjunction with SLC’s OET coaching and group classes, or OET Writing Correction Service
“As Europe’s first OET-accredited Premium Preparation Provider, we have seen how important high quality test-specific OET preparation materials are to the success of the many learners we work with. We are fortunate to have a world-class Medical English team of writers and trainers here at SLC and are confident that the Reach OET B 2.0 Medicine and Nursing courses will be of great benefit to the many candidates we work with.” Chris Moore, MD, SLC
SLC is the UK’s leading provider of Medical English training services. We train nurses and doctors to achieve the scores they need in the Occupational English Test (OET) and IELTS to register in English-speaking countries, including the UK, Ireland, and Australia. Our customers include NHS Trusts and Health Boards in the UK, international medical universities, private healthcare organisations, pharmaceutical companies, international healthcare recruiters and hundreds of individuals around the world.